1. Be informed. Travel allows us to discover natural beauties, historical
sites and above all the diversity of other societies and people. Be an
informed traveler before leaving home and discover what the people you’ll
meet at your destination can teach you.
2. Be open-minded and patient. Experience other cultures and
3. Be respectful. Local people welcome you. Show them gratitude and respect.
4. Respect also local customs: the way you dress, behavior in religious sites,
displays of affection.
5. Avoid exploitation. As travelers we are perceived as rich. Be generous in a
constructive way by promoting the local economy. Avoid and denounce
exploitation of the local people (e.g., low salaries, overwork, child abuse
6. Protect the environment. Avoid overuse of water, wasting food,
littering and damaging sites.
7. Leave a good impression. A positive experience with local people will pave
the way for those coming after you leave.
Respect and mutual discovery will make your trip a wonderful
experience and will promote your security and your health too! So
enjoy yourself and have a good trip!
Source: The International Society of Travel Medicine