Here are some quick facts about the ONLY approved Yellow Fever vaccine available in India.
Stamaril is a yellow fever vaccine that contains a live, weakened form of the yellow fever virus. It works by stimulating the body’s immune response to this virus, without causing the disease. The yellow fever vaccine stimulates the immune system to produce antibodies against the yellow fever virus and is given to prevent this disease. One injection is needed and this provides protection against yellow fever from ten days after vaccination. Protection lasts at least ten years, but a booster dose is needed after 10 years if protection against the disease is still required. The yellow fever vaccine is not given routinely in India, but is recommended for people travelling to countries where the disease is found, such as parts of Africa and South America. (1)
Each 0.5 mL dose of reconstituted vaccine from the freeze-dried product contains an injectable suspension in stabiliser of the attenuated 17D strain of yellow fever virus. It is manufactured by Sanofi Aventis at a WHO approved facility in France. In order to be officially recognised, the yellow fever vaccination must be administered in an approved vaccination centre and registered on an international certificate. This certificate is valid from the 10th day after vaccination for 10 years. (2)
- Travelling to, passing through or living in an endemic area.
- Travelling to any country that requires an International Certificate of Vaccination for entry (which may or may not depend on the previous itinerary).
- Handling potentially infectious materials (e.g. laboratory personnel).
1. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004887.html (accessed August 2010)
2. http://www.msd-newzealand.com/content/downloads/Data%20Sheet%20-%20Stamaril.pdf (accessed August 2010)
All information provided by Dr Gaurav Gupta, MD, Charak Clinics. Stamaril, Yellow Fever Vaccine is available at Charak Clinics, Chandigarh, North India for all travelers to Endemic Countries in Africa / Central & South America with WHO certificate of vaccination valid for 10 years. For details write to us at drgaurav-at-charakclinics.com (replace -at- by @) or call at 91-172-5092585, 91-9872303775 during Office Hours.